Monday, May 20, 2013

"This Love is Ours"

9.28.2008, Tyler and I met for the first time in a general education music class as freshmen in college.



12.25.09, Tyler asked me to marry him

Him and his family drove to my house Christmas night, surprised me, and in front of our families, in the house I grew up in, he got down on one knee and proposed.


Poor guy was scared to death...and this is why.
Tyler and I had NEVER discussed the idea of getting married. And when I say, "never" I mean the topic was kind of forbidden. We didn't want to talk about it until we were ready. Tyler literally was asking me about marriage for the very first time when he proposed and really had no idea what I would say.
After I said, "Are you serious?" I said, "Yes."


7.1.11. we got married.



5.19.2012 we moved to California so Tyler could attend Fuller Theological Seminary




12.12.12. we had a baby.



We had never talked about marriage before Tyler proposed.
We got married "too young" and we had no money.
We uprooted not even a year after we got married and moved across the country (still no money).
We were away from our family, only married for a year, and we had a baby.

But regardless of doing things differently than most people, our marriage is flourishing and beautiful. 

I reflect on this story often because it is ours and we totally own it. 

We don't do things the way most people would do them, but I think that is what makes our marriage great. 

The theme of our wedding was, "A Flower That Pierces The Concrete." In the midst of darkness, ugliness, and death, we want our marriage to be different and something beautiful for not only us, but for the world around us. When Landon and our (possible) other children grow up, I hope they will be able to see a marriage that is unlike any other marriage they have seen and as a result, they will live their lives differently as well. 

One of the best things about Tyler, is his passion for our marriage. He is constantly working on himself to make our marriage the best it can be. I always say that I would never be able to do this life with anyone except him, and I truly mean that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment