Saturday, May 18, 2013

Not a California Girl

I'm sure you have heard the song, "California Girls." Its pretty obnoxious, but annoyingly catchy. However, I never really payed attention to the song until we moved here. As I was going to work one day, I started listening to it and said to Landon (as if he cares), "This song has a lot more meaning when you can relate."

Let me just break down some of these lyrics you:

The lyrics will be in blue ad my response will be in black.

"I know a place, where the grass is always greener"
     Fasle. There is no grass here. Unless it is fake.

"Warm, wet, and wild. There must be something in the water."
     There is definitely something in the water, because the water that comes out of our sink is cloudy and little things tend to float to the top. And! There is a big water shortage because people have to water their fake grass all the time.

"Sippin' gin and juice. Layin underneath the palm trees"
     Laying under palms trees is pretty nice, but I've heard that rats live in the tops of them.

"You could travel the world, but nothing comes close to the golden coast"
     Just go travel the world.
   
"Toned, Tan, Fit, and Ready"
     The expectation to be in shape and fit is disgusting, and for me, completely ridiculous. People aren't trying to be healthy for their well being, they do it so they can look good. People don't run for the health benefits, they run so they can show off the newest nike shoe.
     There is a lack of confidence around here, and its masked with the latest fashions. It is rare to see a girl walking down the street in sweat pants and a t-shirt. Keeping up with the newest thing has to be exhausting.
     Also, "Toned, Tan, Fit, and Ready" only applys to the rich, white elite culture where the standards are much higher.

"The girls a freak, she drives a jeep, and live on the beach"
     First of all, that isn't really a sentence (thats fitting too). Second of all, the only people living on the beach are the homeless people.

"I'm okay, I wont play, I love the bay, just like I love L.A."
     Living in L.A. has instilled in me a fear of cats. Yes, you read that right...cats. People bring them out like they are dogs and they are so creepy and unpredictable. And speaking of dogs...everyone feels the need to take their dogs EVERYWHERE. Even in restaurants! Yuck. The little, tiny white dogs are the worst. They get under your feet and somehow take up the entire sidewalk.
     
"Venice Beach and Palm Springs summertime is everyday"
     Have you ever been to Venice Beach? Seriously...the strangest place I have ever been. It is full of medical marijuana places and strange street shows. Not exactly a dream destination.

These are just some of the lyrics that cracked me up.

My point is, we have LOVED our time in California. We have gotten to do a lot of great things we wouldn't have been able to do had we stayed in OH or PA. We love Pasadena and will definitely miss it when we leave. It is beautiful and filled with great restaurants, beaches, mountains, and things to explore. The culture, however, is very different and not always desirable. The high maintenance, fear of not fitting in, and money, is something Tyler and I just don't fit in or agree.

Also, I would never want to be put in the category of "California Girls."

Incase you were curious, here is the music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment