Thursday, May 16, 2013

38 Lessons Learned

Saying, "I've learned a lot" over the past year would be a huge understatement. I can't believe it has only been a year since Tyler and I graduated college and drove across the country to live in California.

I think as humans, we are always learning new things about the people around us, the world, and the life we are supposed to live.

Here are some of the things I have learned (in no particular order).

1. Tyler is the greatest man on the planet. I see some seminary wives living such dreadful lives so their husbands can pursue what they want to do. Tyler never makes me feel like that. He is always encouraging me to find what I want to do in this world and he is supportive. I believe our marriage has developed into something really beautiful over the past 2 years and I can't imagine doing this life with any other person. He is the love of my life and my best friend.

2. The love I have for Landon is unlike any other.

3. My bike is one of my favorite things.  

4. There is no shame going to a food distribution. Fuller has a free food distribution for students and people in the community. It has been a blessing to us.

5. Don't box your life up the way you think it should go. God can shatter those boxes at any moment and turn it into something much more beautiful and fulfilling.

6. You don't usually get excited over little things until you have a baby. When Landon rolled over for the first time, you would have thought we won the lottery.

7. California weather is miserable during August, September, October and November.

8. Hotel pools are easy to access. Without a room key ;-)

9. LA traffic is as terrible as they say it is. 

10. Your baby's first holidays may not be sweet and joyous. 

He was obviously not interested in Christmas presents or Easter eggs.

11. If you are registering for your baby shower and you are debating whether or not you need something...you don't need it. Trust me. 

12. Living in seminary housing doesn't alway mean the people around you are friendly and nice.

13. Avocados have become one of my favorite foods.

14. I would choose Tyler's cooking over a restaurant any day.

15. I took my back country roads and small town for granted while I was growing up.

16. Ants can take over a kitchen very quickly.


17. Businesses make it very inconvenient for mothers to nurse their babies in public. 

18. I have gained so much respect for single parents. I don't know how they do it.

19. Playing Call of Duty can form great friendships with people.

20. High school and college years are the easiest of your life.

21. Not having cable is a great thing.

22. Regardless of all the terrible and tragic things that happen in the world, there are some really beautiful and generous people out there.

23. My husband is one of the hardest working people I know.

24. Not having a washer and a dryer in your apartment is annoying, yet very humbling.

25. Fun Fact: At night, in LA, you are always within 20 feet of a rat. Wanna come visit?

26. Hiking with your husband can be a very spiritual experience.

27. I could eat an entire box of honey nut cheerios...without milk.

28. I love pomegranate seeds.

29. You appreciate seasons much more when you don't get to experience them.

30. Hospital bills and student loans are annoyingly expensive. I think education and getting medical attention should be free.

31. Living behind a gas station sucks.

32. It is awesome when you can pick strawberries out of your own garden and eat them.

33. Living in California is too expensive and it isn't as glamourous as people think.

34. Choosing to nurse Landon has been one of the greatest decisions I have ever made. To think he is growing and developing because of what I'm feeding him is so rewarding!

35. European board games are better than traditional board games.

36. Turnips are disgusting.

37. Old friendships can be mended.

38. Don't always be so sure that your not pregnant ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment