Wednesday, June 5, 2013

My (not so little) Sister

Meet my sister, Karishma (Ishy)


Karishma is probably the most beautiful person I know. Secretly, I wish I was Indian because I think she is absolutely gorgeous. 

But, besides being beautiful, she is so compassionate for the people around here. 

She patiently puts up with my, not so great signing skills and kindly corrects me when I sign something wrong. 

When she isn' texting ;-) she is great to talk to. She does see the world a little bit differently than Tyler and I and it is interesting and refreshing to see her perspective on things. 

She is great with her nephews, Mason and Landon. I was always so impressed to see how she took care of Mason, and now she helps take care of Landon. I can tell Landon already loves her by the way he engages with her when they play together. He will be lucky to grow up around her.

But, beyond all of this, she has been through more "stuff" than most people have in their lifetime. She was adopted from India as a baby, she is deaf, her parents are divorced, and she is going through the normal things that every teenager goes through, (and she grew up with two, crazy, older brothers). However, none of this defines who she actually is. Her way of dealing with these things makes her mature beyond her years.

Although her family is a little different than some, she couldn't have been adopted into a more loving family. Her mom always tries to do what is best for her, her dad loves her more than she can imagine, her brothers are protective of her, and her nephews adore her.

Not only did Tyler cry when I walked down the aisle at our wedding, he also cried when he saw his little sister. She went from being a little girl, to a young woman faster than we were anticipating.

She challenges me to be patient, understanding, engaging, and she is encouraging to me without her even realizing it.

I feel honored to have her as my sister. I can't wait to see what she does in this world, but I'm sure it is going to be great. She has so much goodness to offer the people around her and I think we can all learn a little something from her.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I got a little teary eyed. I never thought about it that way. She truly is amazing isn't she
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete