Thursday, December 10, 2015

Annual Date

Last night, Tyler and I went on our annual December 9th date.
If you have forgotten why we always go on a date on December 9th, let me refresh your memory.

December 9th 2012, I had a nice date planned for Tyler and I. Except the date never happened because I was having terrible back pain that ended up contractions, so we ended up getting Chipotle and spending the evening at home. I'm not saying Chipotle isn't date worthy food, but its not the date I had in mind for us.

So! Every year, on December 9th, we go on a date to make up for the one we didn't go on.

2011 was dinner and the Toledo Zoo Lights.
2012 was dinner and Christmas shopping (this was before I discovered the ease of online shopping on Amazon)

Despite a crazy morning and afternoon.
And regardless of my my suggestion to get a sitter and just going home to sleep instead of going on a date, we had a great time!

Our date started in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Its a fun city and it always reminds me of Pasadena, CA (minus the fact that we have to wear coats).



We ate at a BBQ restaurant which was good, but kind of sub par. I like to think Tyler's cooking is better than any restaurant, but none the less, it was nice eating without sharing our food with a toddler and we actually got to sit at the table at the same time instead of one of us walking around with a fussy baby.

Que awkward family photo...


We had some time before the concert and on the way to the restaurant, I saw a chocolate shop. So of course, we had to make a stop!


Clearly, this place didn't disappoint and we basically spent as much money here as we did on our dinner. But I think it was money well spent!


Like I said, money well spent! 
I've had a lot of carmel apples, but this one was by far the best one I've ever had. 

Onto the concert!

It wasn't a large concert with thousands of people.
For this particular concert, there were probably only about 150-200 people there. 

We saw the band Over The Rhine.




I had never heard of these people until recently.  
I'm content with listening to top 40 (I know, usually terrible music), but Tyler explores different types of music and different artist and styles. Occasionally I like one that he finds and Over The  Rhine happens to be one of those bands. So, when we saw they were having a concert on December 9th we decided we had to go.

There is something different about this band.
The two singers are a husband and a wife and they have quite a unique story.

They wrote one of their most popular songs, "Born" during a really dark, difficult time in their marriage and the songs reflects this season of life. 



I think thats why I can appreciate their music.
They are real people, willing to share raw emotion through their song writing. 

If I've learned anything about marriage after having Landon and now, Toren, I know it is not blissful.
Kid's don't fix marriages or make them easier. 

If we are being honest, having kids adds a whole new element of stress. 

But, regardless of that stress and everything that comes with marriage, I get to watch Tyler be an awesome Papa to our boys, and that is a beautiful thing I get to experience daily.

One of my greatest joys is watching Tyler be with Landon and Toren.

Landon laughs the hardest when Tyler is chasing him through the house and being obnoxious. 
And Toren saves some of his biggest smiles for his Papa.



When I'm frustrated, Tyler is patient and calm.
When I've been up all night with Toren, he wakes up early in the morning with the boys so I can have a few hours of uninterrupted sleep.
When I just needs some time to myself, he willingly takes the boys to football practice or to church meetings. 

I probably don't tell him enough how much I appreciate him.
Landon and Toren are lucky to have this man as their Papa. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment