Saturday, July 20, 2013

A Consuming Thought

My husband is a genius (in my eyes). He reads, listens to, and observes so much stuff! I don't always appreciate his knowledge because some times, I just have a hard time feeling interested about ancient history, the hebrew or greek language, geology, or the difference between direct and indirect communication and why it is, "so fascinating."

Don't get me wrong, there are some things I love hearing him talk about. His way of explaining things to me is amazing and really engaging. He is a great story teller and a great teacher. I would even venture to say I have learned more about, living like Jesus, from him the years he taught at campus church than I have my entire life. He is incredible.

Now, there are occasions where he will have read things or listen to something that can really hold my attention.

For example, he was once listening to this man give a talk. I'm not sure what the context was, but he said something that really stuck with me. I honestly think about it everyday.

He said, "Everything is amazing and we are still not happy."

How true is this?!

He gave a list of examples. Some of them were humorous, but I see things happening everyday and I can't help but think, everything is amazing and we are still not happy.

You go into a restaurant and you order something off the menu. Maybe you wanted your ketchup on the side and they put it on the burger instead. It's so easy to complain and send it back instead of just being thankful for having luxury of going to a restaurant and having someone else cook your meal for you.

Or, have you ever gone to a restaurant and ordered an appetizer and you were too full to eat your actual meal. Who would of thought we would live in a world where we have, "too much food."

Tyler and I recently moved into our new home. Our things were supposed to be shipped three weeks ago and we found out this week that our things are still in L.A. We are pretty frustrated (to say the least). However, our home came partially furnished, we have a wonderful community that has helped provide us with meals (since we have nothing to cook with), and we actually have all the essentials of life. I'm finding out just how little you actually need to live comfortably.
But if we are being completely honest here, I still would like our stuff. At least my bike...

I'm ridiculous in the sense that I get annoyed when there isn't an outlet close enough to the couch that I can plug my computer or Iphone charger into. 


Everything is amazing and we are still not happy.


One of my great friends, Sarah Roper, posted this article from the Huffington Post and it sort of plays off what I am talking about. Check it out.




No comments:

Post a Comment