Sunday, October 20, 2013

Dear Daughter-in-Law


It may be wrong to assume Landon will get married someday, but incase he does:


Dear Future Daughter In Law,

It seems funny to be writing to you considering Landon is only ten months old. He is almost walking, but not quite. He "talks" a lot, but the only real word he can say is, "mama." He likes to carry around socks and loves playing with (and trying to eat) leaves. He is a little silly, but incredibly wonderful.

I wish you understood how much I love Landon, but that is impossible.  I'm not really sure I even understand the love I have for him.
It is unexplainable.
Someday, if you have your own children, you will then, maybe see what I mean. You just can't describe the love you have for your child.

Right now, I am his world.
He depends on me for everything and I love this.
I am able to comfort him when he is sad and I can make him laugh by doing just about anything.
He loves when I hold him and he relaxes when I am in the same room as him.
He wakes up, sees my face, and gets so excited! He can't even control his arms from flapping up and down before I pick him up.
Before I go to sleep every night, I can't help but get excited to see him in the morning.

But now, you are his world.

And don't worry, I'm not sad about this and I won't try to keep him as my own.

You will now comfort him when he needs you.
I hope you two laugh together every day.
Hold him and be his safe place, as he will be yours.
You are the first person he will see when he wakes up and the last person he sees before he goes to sleep.

I pray Tyler and I have been a good example for Landon of what love really is.
I'm sure we are probably still working on it, but thats how love works...You don't suddenly figure it out and all your marriage struggles are gone.
     It takes time and patience.
     You are constantly figuring out how to love better.
     There is no "How To" book because your love for each other is unique and unlike anyone else's.
I pray you two find love in each other like Tyler and I have found in each other.

I hope he treats you with the respect you deserve.
I hope he opens the car door for you like his dad has done for me since the day we have met.
I hope he cooks for you.
I hope he loves you unconditionally.

As I watch Tyler count Landon's fingers and toes, I hear him squeal in delight and I can't imagine not keeping him here with me for his whole, little life.
But that isn't the way it works...and I'm ok with that.

As much as I think Landon loves me, I hope he loves you more.
Nobody will love him the way I do, but your love for him is his most important thing.

So, love my son like you have never loved anyone or anything ever before.
Cherish and adore him.
He is the most precious thing in my life...please, make him yours.




No comments:

Post a Comment